Motivational FAQ

What do I need in order to apply for a firearm license?

Firstly you need to have a valid competency certificate for the category of firearm that you are obtaining.

What exactly is a competency certificate?

A competency certificate is a card issued by the SAPS in terms of Section 6 of the Firearms Control Act, 2000 (Act 60 of 2000). It is not the certificate issued by an accredited training provider. The certificate issued by an accredited training provider is called a “proficiency certificate” and must be handed in at the SAPS when you apply for a competency certificate.

What is a further competency?

When you have an existing competency for i.e. a handgun, but you would like to obtain a competency for i.e. shotgun, you need to apply for a further competency.

When do I renew my competency certificate and/or licenses?

Each card has a date of issue and expiry on it. You should apply for the renewal thereof at least 90 days before expiry.

Where can I apply?

You have to apply at the Designated Firearms Officer at the police station in whose area you reside.

Do I need a competency certificate and a license?

The Firearms Control Act, 2000 (Act 60 of 2000), requires that a person should first apply for a Competency Certificate in order to apply for a license.

If I inherit a firearm, is the license transferred to me automatically as well?

No. Even if ownership of the firearm changes, the new owner still need to apply for a valid firearm license with the SAPS.

Can I store a firearm at my local police station?

Unfortunately, the SAPS currently do not provide for storage of i.e. estate firearms, private firearms, etc. They only keep firearms used in a suspected crime or suspected domestic violence, or surplus firearms handed in by individuals / companies / institutions for destruction. We recommend you contact your nearest firearm dealer or gunsmith, should you need to store a firearm.

Who and what is a DFO?

A DFO is short for Designated Firearms Officer. This is the police member appointed at each police station, to assist the public with the registration process at the relevant police station.

Basic documentation needed for a firearm license application:

• Competency Certificate - SAPS 517, ID book.
• Proficiency Certificate Firearm license Application - SAPS 271, ID book.
• Competency Certificate Renewal of Competency Certificate - SAPS 517(g), ID book, Competency Certificate.
• Proficiency Certificate Renewal of Firearm License - SAPS 518(a), ID book, Competency Certificate, Original License.

What do you need from me in order to assist me with my application?

This is the basic information we need: 

How much do you charge?

Our fees depend on the type of application, as well as the number of applications. You are welcome to contact us for a quotation.